Wednesday, March 31, 2010

More Closed Aspects of OpenDNS

This is a follow-up to my post of Sunday night:

It turns out that this was actually a bug at OpenDNS.  According to them, "my network," which happens to be fully dynamic IP, was crossed up with another user's network.  As a result, my filters got crossed up with theirs.

They say there's a six step process I need to go through to fix the problem, including downloading software from OpenDNS (which does not support Linux end users, like me) and rebooting.  Rebooting a UNIX or Linux machine is not a trivial task, and we don't tend to do it unless something major goes wrong, or the kernel is updated.  Changing DNS servers or modifying the connection is not worth a reboot.

I thought it was much easier to switch to a different DNS that doesn't have these problems.  Google's DNS works just fine....

No comments:

Post a Comment